Monday, June 4, 2012

A Tie Dye Technique... for Paper!

Hello there!

I have a fun card to share with you today! I made it for the second round of this year's Paper Craft Magazine Gallery Idol contest. The theme was you color my world and here is what I came up with using the rainbow as my inspiration:



Goodies:

Stampin' Up! Stampin' Write Markers
Whisper White, Basic Black cardstock
watercolor paper
Mini Mister
Silhouette Cameo (to cut out letters)

I have never tried tie dying before- on fabric or paper- but I'm so glad I did! I love how it turned out! Here is a little tutorial on how I did it!

First, gather your supplies:


Next, scribble a rainbow bulls eye onto your watercolor paper:


Next, you are going to mist it with water but before you do, have your heat gun ready to dry your paper:


Go ahead and spray your watercolor paper- The more water you add, the more the colors will run... the trick is not to get it so wet that everything turns brown and yucky

When it looks like you want it, zap it with the heat gun to set the color. This will warp the paper but it uncurls once it is dry again!

Not too tricky, right? Hee! A trick I learned with this technique is to start with a larger sized watercolor paper panel then you will need for your final project. That way, if the colors all run to the edge and pool, you can still cut them off without losing the tie dye effect.

Now that you know how I did it, please head on over to the Paper Crafts Magazine Gallery Idol Contest page and vote for your favorite rainbow themed card! Every single card entered is so creative! I can't wait to see who ends up in the next round!

I had so much fun playing around with this card! I hope you try out tie dying soon!

Thanks for stopping by,


-tessa

12 comments:

Elena said...

that is just so cool! Your card makes me happy :)

Chunyuan said...

awesome card.

Dana said...

Awesome technique!! I love it!!

JJ Bolton said...

That technique is fantastic! Love the effect!

So much fun sharing the GI experience with a neighbor:)

Sue McRae said...

Such a cool technique!

Anita Rex said...

Love your cool technique! So fun and it turned out so great!

Laurie said...

Tessa this is so pretty! I really love how it turned out! I am going to have to try this technique!

Miriam Prantner said...

Great card and thanks for the how to! I'm gonna have to try this one!

cheiron said...

Wonderful technique! Love the finished card.

Amy Kolling said...

Great minds think alike right? :) My husband actually threw out the idea of tye dye for my card as well but I just couldn't execute it. I tried, I failed. I love how yours turned out! The card looks just like actual tye dye! Amazing what you can do with paper! So glad to be in the Top 20 with you!

Jocelyn Olson said...

The tutorial is great! I couldn't figure out how you did it! The card looks just like tie-dye. So cool! :)

Angie Tieman said...

I loved your card, Tessa, and that technique is awesome!! Thanks for sharing how to do it! Hugs! :)

 
site design by designer blogs