Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Fabulous Flower Card

When I first discovered Stampin' Up! this was the first set that caught my eye! I love the huge flower and the sentiment... Today I am using it as part of a color challenge on the demo side of Splitcoast Stampers. For this month's WICKED color challenge, we had to use Tangerine Tango, Always Artichoke, Bordering Blue, and Basic Black. I had fun trying them out! Here is what I came up with:



Goodies:
All goodies by Stampin' Up!

Stamps: Fabulous Flowers set; Dreams DuJour set; En Francais background stamp
Ink: Bordering Blue, Always Artichoke, Tangerine Tango, and Basic Black classic inks
Paper: Basic Black, Always Artichoke, Whisper White, Bordering Blue card stock
Other: Dimensionals, Dazzling Diamonds glitter, Basic Black narrow grosgrain ribbon, Paper Piercer, Filigree Designer Brads, Sponge Daubers, Blender Pen, Stamp-a-ma-jig

I started by stamping the flower three times with Tangerine Tango ink on Whisper White card stock. I cut one out whole, one out around the middle section of petals and one out around just the center of petals. I used dimensionals to build them up into a three dimensional flower. I used a 2 way glue pen to trace one side of each petal and add Dazzling Diamonds glitter to it. What a mess I had! All those petals... hee!

Next, I got busy on the background pieces. I knew I wanted to use En Francais on the Bordering blue so I cut a square and stamped it out with Bordering Blue ink. I sponged around the edge- I think it gives it a more finished look. Then I added the piercings around the edge and gave it a mat. I distressed that a little bit with my Decor Elements tool- it is what you are supposed to use to put those giant rub-ons on your wall but it makes a great little distresser, too! Hee!

For the Always Artichoke piece in the background, I got out my trusty Stamp-a-ma-jig and the butterfly stamp from Dreams DuJour. I stamped a pattern using Always Artichoke ink. I also sponged around the edges of this piece, too.

I decided to create my sentiment panel next, stamping it onto Whisper White card stock with Basic Black ink. Since I don't have the Stampin' Up! markers yet (please Santa bring them!) I used a blender pen with the residual ink from the Always Artichoke stamp pad to color in the 'fabulous' part. I cut the piece to the right size, added piercings around the edge then matted it in black, using dimensionals for a little more pop!

This is when I started the layout part of the card... I was planning on a square card so I cut a piece of Basic Black card stock to 11 x 5 1/2" and folded it in half. Next I set out my pieces where I thought they would go and moved them around until I saw what it needed... ribbon! I added a little piece around the bottom of the Bordering Blue panel. Then, I felt it needed a little something along the side... Filigree brads! I haven't used them yet and I love how they look here! I glued down the panels and added the sentiment and flower with dimensionals. And then I was done! I almost added leaves but my husband thought it would be too busy... I do love how it turned out though!

OK.... now that I've written a short novel about how I made the silly card, I better get back to my real job! My babies are pulling at my legs this morning wanting all of my attention! Off to play dress up and doll house!

-tessa

4 comments:

Andrea said...

That is such a beautiful card and after reading your short novel on how you made it I appreciate all the hard work you put into it! I know that I am ordering the Dreams Du Jour set from you soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for playing, Tessa! You did an awesome job with this color combination. Your card is stunning!

Elizabeth *^..^* said...

I adore your use of color. Such visual delights compose your blog.
I have an award for you on my blog.

Susan (peebsmama) said...

That would be a tough color combo for me. I really like how you put it all together.

 
site design by designer blogs