Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Crazy Color Challenge...

Today, Kristina Werner posted a new color challenge! She is forever posting cool stuff on her blog! Here is this week's inspiration:



So, Taken with Teal, Certainly Celery, Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Chip, and Whisper White! I think these work great together but I was a little shy of them at first... Teal always scares me a little... Here is what I came up with!

My mom's birthday card (I actually made it on time!):



Goodies:
All products by Stampin' Up!

Stamps: Season of Friendship set; Cute and Curly set
Ink: Certainly Celery, Chocolate Chip, Taken with Teal, Pumpkin Pie, Taken with Teal classic inks
Paper: Whisper White, Certainly Celery, Chocolate Chip, Taken with Teal card stock; Sweet Always DSP, watercolor paper
Other: Scallop Edge punch, Scallop Circle punch, 1 3/8" Circle punch, Chocolate Chip wide grosgrain ribbon, Dimensionals, Dazzling Diamonds glitter

The idea for this card came from the December WICKED challenge on Splitcoast. I thought the sketch was perfect for the Season of Friendship set! I typically don't use ovals but I'm glad I tried it out... I stamped the tree and leaves onto the oval. I stamped the bird and flowers onto white card stock and cut them out. I added them next, using some dimensionals under a few of them. I wanted to bring some more teal into the card but the card stock itself was sooo dark! I decided to use some residual ink and my aqua painter to watercolor onto watercolor paper. When it was dry, I stamped my sentiment and punched it out. I think the rest is pretty self explanatory but if you have questions, just ask! I'm always happy to explain anything I make...

Here is my nephew's birthday card (a little late...):



Goodies:
All products by Stampin' Up!

Stamps: Crazy for Cupcakes set; Sprinkles set; Cute and Curly set
Ink: Certainly Celery, Taken with Teal, Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Chip Classic inks; Versamark; Timber Brown Staz on
Paper: Taken with Teal, Pumpkin Pie, Whisper White, Chocolate Chip, Certainly Celery card stock; Summer Picnic DSP; Bella Rose DSP; watercolor paper
Other: Scallop Square punch, Scallop Edge punch, Curly Label punch, Dimensionals, Dazzling Diamonds glitter

So, after failing many times at watercoloring on Whisper White card stock, I finally bought some of the watercolor paper. I am soo glad I did! It really makes a big difference in the blending! I love it!

For this card, I wanted something a little funky and a little less girly since all my cards end up pretty foofy! I think I did OK... The only thing that isn't very easy to see how I did is the scallop around the square in the center. I used the Scallop Square punch to punch four pieces out. I didn't know how big my center should be for them to line up but I guessed at 2 1/2" and it worked perfectly! I just stuck them to the back and lined up the corners and voila!

So, I hope you are having a great day! It is gray and cold here and we are stuck inside today... At least I had time to stamp! Hee!

-tessa

19 comments:

Christa said...

They're both beautiful!

Sarah said...

TOO CUTE!!!
Great cards!

Selene Kempton said...

Gorgeous! I love the big oval! Really pretty, nice job.

Anonymous said...

These are both beautiful, and I especially like the first one. I may have to CASE this one! Did you use the coluzzle for the ovals? Thanks for sharing!

Kara said...

Great job! LOVE the first one.
Kara

Leonie said...

Both cards are lovely, but I especially love the second one, it's very fun!!

Paulina said...

LOVE the first card!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tessa, this is a great card for Kristina's challenge! Well done!

Anonymous said...

great card!

Unknown said...

very pretty. :)

Nancy Riley said...

LOVE your card for the color challenge! Excellent design and use of the colors!

Your nephew's card is cute too!

Nikki Schmaltz said...

this is so pretty! Love the glittery
bird

Carol Dunstan said...

two great cards!

kareN stampZ said...

Both awesome but the first one is stunning

Dori Shelton said...

They are both beautiful. I really like the layout of the first one.

Anonymous said...

These cards are perfect! Excellent job with the color challenge!

Anonymous said...

Both of your cards are beautiful but I'm a sucker for trees and birds. So I love your first one.

Kay Kalthoff said...

Oh, your challenge cards are just beautiful! I adore the Season of Friendship card. Thanks so much for sharing!!

ohradiogirl said...

Very nice. Two cards, eh?

 
site design by designer blogs